Sunday 26 November 2006

New Delhi

I'm in Delhi, India today, meeting potential students for York St John programmes. I've seen some excellent candidates, so I hope they do come to York! It's almost twenty years since I was last in Delhi and although some things look the same, the evidence of an ICT 'revolution' is everywhere: students give me their email addresses and I have been in email contact 3 times already with an applicant I met yesterday; his application and supporting documents have been scanned and emailed to York; we looked at the academic programme information on the YSJ website in our agent's office in Delhi; I have emailed home once already today and to a colleague I plan to meet in Colombo tomorrow, I will text my son, using my UK mobile, to let him know when I arrive at the airport and I'm blogging now. One of the applicants for the MA ELT works in an international call centre here in Delhi teaching English to call centre workers. She mainly does work for British Gas and at the interview talked to me about how BG provides a reliable service to people in remote areas of the UK......etc.

Last week I was in Pakistan, where access to Blogger.com seems to be restricted. This site has more info: http://www.globalvoicesonline.org/2006/03/02/pakistan-blogspot-blogs-blocked-in-pakistan/

Off to the airport now, for a flight to Colombo, Sri Lanka. Back in York on Friday.

1 comment:

Valentina Dodge said...

Great to hear that ICT is being used to interact and develop connections between people - not just more machinery ;-)

Lovely that you are connected to us through the blog too!
Well done,
Vale